Wednesday, April 7, 2010

German Pancakes

I thought I'd share my recipe for German Pancakes since a few of you asked about them from my last post. 

This is a recipe for a double batch which was perfect for our family of four (my husband is a big guy and can eat a lot).
6 eggs (beaten)
1 cup of sifted flour
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 cup of milk
3 tbsp. melted butter ( I used smart balance. I actually like it better than the butter in this recipe, the butter seems to sit at the top after baking where the Smart Balance doesn't and it's a better choice)
I also like to add a tsp of vanilla and cinnamon.

Keep beaten eggs in separate bowl and sift flour, sea salt and baking powder in a bowl.  Add eggs to dry ingredients.  Stir in milk and melted butter.  Pour into a large greased baking dish or 2 small ones, you can also use a cast iron frying pans. Mixture in dish should be a bout 1/4 inch thick.  Bake 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

German Pancakes will rise in the oven, but fall when taken out.  Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with fruit, maple syrup, honey or lemon.  Our family likes to eat them with real Maple Syrup. Oh, so yummy!


The best thing about them is they are super easy!  I like easy and fast.  I really like the fact that all you have to do is mix and bake.  I served these Christmas morning for the first time and they were a big hit.  I hope you all enjoy them as much as we do!

3 comments:

Stacy of KSW said...

Thank you so much for posting this recipe! I lived in Germany for 6 years and didnt have a glue how to make these. My family will forever be grateful :)

Can't wait to top these with some yummy baked cinnamon apples

Diane {createdbydiane.blogspot.com} said...

looks good!

Laura said...

Yum - they look delicious! ...will need to try 'em out...