Monday, December 6, 2010

The Christmas Tree

Eric, Audrey, Ethan and my mother in law (Nannie Wizza) on the hunt

Every year we head to Piper Mt. to get our Christmas Tree.  We've been doing this for 9 years now and most likely will be doing for the next 9 (at times I do dream of a fake tree......the easiness of it).  We go on the first Sunday of December but this year we had to go on Saturday since Ethan had his first basketball game on Sunday (this was very unusual).  The weather wasn't the most ideal.....it was a wet misty day, which meant mud.  We still had fun trying to find our perfect tree!


Ethan really wanted to cut the tree down, he wasn't strong enough but he tried.  He was happy to help carry it down to the farm, which was quite a walk.  Miss Trix of course went with us, she is so good.  She listens and stays near us, we seldom put a collar and leash on her.  It's funny because she is often referred to as a pup when she's almost 14!  

After the tree is cut we head into the tree shop for hot cider and fresh donuts.....so yummy!  The kids each pick out an ornament, we certainly don't need anymore but it' has now become a tradition.  Ethan spotted the Red Sox ornaments from a mile away and picked on out and Audrey found a cute little mouse.  She loves small creatures.


Piper Mt. also makes and sells Maine wreaths that are sent all of the states.
  I thought this one was pretty fun! 
Another great year for getting a tree.  I'm thankful we've started this tradition, the kids love it so much.  I know they will want to carry this tradition on for a long, long, time.

Coming later this week "The Setting up of our Perfect Tree"

Bonnie

8 comments:

Angie said...

Trixie is a cute pup! We call our old dogs pups too...ha!

I love that y'all get a real tree. Gary is allergic :(

Sarah Halstead said...

Cute pictures. Looks like a lot of fun!

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

That looks like such a fabulous tradition. I'd love to go to a tree farm but I don't know o any at all in England. I guess there must be one but certainly not near us.

And donuts AND hot cider?

Now I'm REALLY jealous!!

I'm your new follower!

Sarahx

Stacy P. said...

Hey Bonnie! I've had to catch up on your blog...first may I say the wreath with a nod to Atlanta (Coca-Cola...) is fab! That would be all the rage down here.
I love that you cut your tree down- that is super cool. We go to a nursery where they are already cut. No cider, either since it was about 60 when we went!
AND btw, how great is your daily December diary! I'll have to do that next year.
Glad to pop over---Merry Christmas!

Ricki Jill Treleaven said...

I think it's fun we share the same tradition :D I look forward to your post on "The Setting up of our Perfect Tree."

BundlesofBlossoms said...

That sounds like so much fun! Is their really anything better than traditions made in families?

-You can never have too many ornaments-HA!

BundlesofBlossoms said...

Hi Bonnie!!

Be sure & pick up your "Blog of Substance Award" at

www.bundlesofblossoms.blogspot.com

Congratulations!!!!!

Miller Racing Family said...

What a blast. We have a fake tree as there aren't any tree farms around our area. This does look like a fun family day. I love the Coca Cola wreath, it would look great at my parents.
Have a fabulous day!