Monday, December 20, 2010

Memories and A Merry Christmas!


This past spring my Grandmother passed away, she was 90.  She was an incredible women to me. She was one of the most organized persons I've ever known.  I remember when I was a kid, her craft beads were neatly organized by color and size.  Everything had a place!   I didn't live near her for most of my life but still felt close to her. She always sent a card for every holiday with a one dollar bill in it.  Always crisp.  I can't think of a time throughout my whole life that she missed or was even late for that matter with a card.  When her great grandchildren came along she began to send them the dollar instead since she was on a budget but she would still send us, her grandchildren cards too. The wonderful thing about those cards where that she took the time to write in them, not just how are you, all is well here and so on, but wrote about memories of us when we were little or memories of my father or of  her and my grandfather.  If you wrote her a letter she would be sure to write back.  I've missed getting those cards and letters.  I feel like something is missing in my mailbox when a holiday strolls around .  What I do have though is many Christmas decorations made by her.  When I'm looking around the room I think of her and about who she was and what was important to her........family! 

The tree skirt was made for my mother and father when we were little  kids.  Every Christmas growing up I would love to sit around the tree and look at that tree skirt, I LOVED it, I loved the characters and shinny beads.  She made ornaments that now fill my apothecary jar and I still have my stocking she made for me when I was a baby.  When my kids came along she made matching stockings for them and this cute advent calender (she was in her early 80's when she made them, that amazes me).  I will cherish these parts of her forever and I believe my kids will too.  Even though they didn't get the chance to spend time with my grandmother since we lived so far from one another, those cards she sent and wrote in made it so my kids felt a connection with her.  It proves that you don't have to live close to one another to love one another or feel someone close to your heart.  Maybe we should all take the time to write a letter to a someone not so near.  I think a hand written letter means so much!  What a wonderful Christmas surprise you could give someone when they open their mailbox.
Have a Wonderful week and
 Merry Christmas  ! 
* a card I'm sure my Grnadmother would like

P.S. To get a better idea of what my Grnadmother was like......think of the show "Leave it to Beaver"  That's what my father's childhood was like.

5 comments:

Laura said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laura said...

Great post, Bon ~ she was amazing!

Amy said...

What an amazing post.. It is hard around the holidays to be away from those that are gone and in heaven. I do love all of the memories you have and can get.. Thanks for sharing and have a great night.

Angie said...

I love the last pic...totally reminds me of something my gramma would send me.

Merry Christmas!

Miller Racing Family said...

What a wonderful post. Your Grandmother sounds like such a fabulous person. It is so neat that you have so many memories that you can now share with your kids.
I hope you have a very Merry Christmas and a blessed New Year!