Monday, February 28, 2011

Kindle


 At A Glance image

We finally decided to buy a Kindle for the family.  When I first mentioned the idea of getting one the kids and hubby responded by saying "I like a real book in my hands"  (I think everyone responds this way at first).  I explained that it doesn't mean we will stop buying books altogether it just means we will cut down on books that we only read once.  The kids read so many chapter books that are read once and put on the shelf to sit.  I think this will save us some room on those shelves.  We do like going to the library and I don't think that will ever change, e-books still cost money.  I ordered it from Amazon and it's expected to be here in a few days.  Everyone is already talking about what book they are reading first.  We can pick out books now and when the Kindle arrives in a few days they will already be downloaded on it.....how cool is that!  I have a feeling the kids are going to love it which means they might have to get their own for Christmas. 

I looked into getting a cover or some sort of protection for the kindle but was a bit shocked by the prices $25 to $60....eeks.  I decided to go to good old Etsy.com and this is what I found for $15.00 at RogueTheroy.  They had lots of cute patterns but this was the most fitting for the family. 


Kindle 1 2 3, Nook, NookColor, Kobo, Sony, Galaxy Tab - eReader Techee Sleeve - Signal



Of course there are disadvantages to an e-reader; such as not being able to pass a book along to someone else to enjoy, something I like to do. A real book can be tossed around or can slip out of your hands as you fall asleep reading without damage (something that often happens while I'm reading at night) .  And, no more reading in the bathtub! I think I can adjust to these things without to much fuss.  


I would love any tips any of you may have if you have a e-reader.  

I will be sure to let you know how it all works out for our family.

Bonnie 

4 comments:

Alli said...

I have a Kindle. I do love the feel of a book in my hands but the Kindle has done a great job as a replacement. The screen is perfect - reads just like a book. I didn't really understand what that meant until I had one, but you'll see too. You don't get tired of looking at it like you do a tv or computer.

Also, amazon just started a borrowing service this year! If someone else has a kindle (or maybe just an amazon) account you can actually loan the book! They get to borrow the book for 14 days. In the meantime you don't get to read it (similar to if you let someone borrow a physical book you wouldn't be able to read your copy).

That was exciting news for me!

Plus, I got out of class early today because I finished an assignment. I didn't bring my Kindle because I didn't expect to get out 40 minutes early. Since I take notes on my computer I brought it with me to class. Now, while waiting for my next course to start I get to read my books on my computer because my computer syncs with the kindle and goes directly to the last page I was on! That's amazing to me.

I'm sure I sound like a seller or something here, but I just wanted you to expect good things. :) I was a little nervous about giving up physical books at first but I feel really good about it. All your library at your fingertips at any moment!

Hope you have fun with your Kindle.

Angie said...

I have been reading books on my iphone using a Nook app. I love it! Here in Texas some schools are giving kids Kindle's instead of text books. So fun and such a great idea...save a tree right?

Laura said...

I can't wait to hear how all of you like it - I haven't made the leap yet, and really probably should since I'm reading a book a week!!!

Amy said...

I really love my Kindle. I would say to check the free books. I check often, sometimes daily. You can find them on the Kindle Store page by scrolling down - on the right hand side you will see top 100 paid and free.

Amy @ Missional Mama