Sunday, December 18, 2011

One Week until Christmas....

I can't believe I have one week until Christmas and I'm not really into it as much as I'd like to be.  I've been so worried about my dogs these days.  They are both old and aren't doing so well. Our Trixie will be 15 in a couple of months and our Dexter will be 14 soon.  They both have issues and the future isn't looking so bright.  We've had them both longer then our kids.  We got Trixie when she was just a pup from a shelter.  She has been the BEST dog (besides eating and rolling in some very unpleasant things now and then...I think that's the terrier in her.)   Trixie isn't using one of her front legs  anymore and her back legs aren't going to last much longer.  She takes three different meds...one for her heart, one for wetting the bed and the other for her arthritis.  I'm worried that we will have to put her down because her body won't work but her mind his still good.  How do you it?  This is eating me up.  I know we still have time but I'm guessing months.

Our other dog Dexter we saved when he was around 8 months old.  Our Dexter has a massive tumor hanging off his chest...bigger than a grapefruit.  When I took him to the vet the other day his doctor mentioned that there's a 30%  chance that it could rupture and that it's pretty bad when that happens or it could just keep doing what it's been doing for the past 3 or 4 years...slowly continue to grow and not bother him.  i have a feeling it will rupture...its huge and I can see that it just grew more this past month. So, now I'm worried we won't be home , it will rupture and he will bleed to death.  His mind is good, the rest of his body fine too I try not to worry but as much as I try not to the thoughts keep popping back into my head.



You can see the tumor under his arm.  

I know they've both had a great life and pretty long but it still is hard.  I think what's the hardest for me right now is knowing we will have to make that awful, awful decision in the near future.  I wish for a peaceful parting....like not waking one morning.  I need to pray more!

 I did manage to get my Christmas cards sent, which takes a load off.  I got them in November and planned to send them out early but then they got pushed to the side. I love getting cards in the mail, I figure most people do so I really  like sending them. Every year I put my cards in this box with a Christmas-e air freshener and let them sit for a week or so.  I love how good they smell.  It makes it more festive when I'm filling them out and for those receiving them.  I always hand write the addresses and our return address on them to make it more personal.  

We also managed to see a play...."A Christmas Story".  It was great.  The kids really enjoyed it.
It was perfect for our Ethan (10 years old) who is begging for a airsoft gun for Christmas.  What is it with boys and guns?!?!?!


Audrey and I went to see the Nutcracker last night.   She loved it and so did I!!! We went five years ago when she was 3 but she doesn't remember any of it.  

And, of course we had to get a Nutcracker so that we would remember this special night.   

Now, I just need to finish my shopping, wrapping and hopefully squeeze in some baking.  I'm also hoping for a little snow. I love a white Christmas.

Bonnie

3 comments:

Laura said...

Oh Bonnie - it's so hard when our animals get old - we love them like our kids! Know that you guys saved them and loved them and gave them a wonderful life - and enjoy however long you still have :-) So glad you were able to see A Christmas Story AND The Nutcracker! Love you guys!!!

Miller Racing Family said...

The Christmas card and air freshner is a great idea. We hope to go see the nutcracker next. I hope you all have a fabulous Christmas.

Stacy said...

I am glad you pinned that idea, have a great Christmas!!