Sunday, March 18, 2012

Saying Goodbye to our Dexter Boy

I've been a terrible blogger this year but I have a good reason for it.  You see 2012 hasn't been a good year for us so far.  On January 5th we had to say goodbye to our Trixie, you can read about it here.  She was almost 15 years old, we called her our first baby.  On February 10th my husband and I had to take my in-laws dog Benny in to say goodbye, he was 16 years old and finally on March 14th we had to take our Dexter in to say goodbye, he was 14.  The three of these dogs were very close for almost 14 years.  My heart is broken!  I know they lived a good long doggy life but saying goodbye is NEVER easy.  NEVER!

Our Dexter had a very large tumor on his chest, it had a ulcer on it that was breaking open.  It got to the point were there was nothing more the vet could do for him.  He had some other health issues too but nothing that was life threatening at this point.  Taking him in on Wednesday morning was so hard.  He stood in the back seat of the car with his head out the window enjoying every minute of it. He just learned to do this.  He was never much for going for rides until late in life. He was such a quirky dog, I guess that's what made him so lovable.  He was the best dog to cuddle with and he was the best foot warmer around!

Our dogs have been a huge part of our lives for so long...longer then the kids have. I miss them so much.  I've cried a lot, usually by myself in the car.  As time goes by I miss them more but I know in time it will get easier.  To some people they're "just" animals but to me they were much more then that.

We will miss you a ton Mr. Dexter boy!
  We will miss all the licking you did to us and the barking in your sleep 
and tossing you your favorite snack...popcorn (that you took very seriously). 
And, you were the BEST dog to sleep with, I loved how you used the pillow on the bed like a person!  
We will never ever forget you!


No comments: